Sunday, November 10, 2013

Anya's Ghost by Vera Brosgol

‘Anya’s Ghost’ was a quick read, but a fantastic one. I was very excited when I saw this as an option on the reading list. A few of my friends who have taken this course previously highly recommended this book. One of them hinted that there was a great twist near the end. While reading I found it to be more of a natural progression that a ghost might take rather than a “twist.”

I buzzed through the entire book in less than two hours. The story flowed very well and none of the pages were over crowded with panels. The simple style and straightforward storyline supported themselves quite nicely. I didn’t mind the gray scale at all, and the purple tint helped it to stand out.

Anya is very relatable character, whether or not you’ve come from a different country. She just wants to fit in at high school, which most of us know is just about the hardest thing to do. She was stripping away or hiding aspects that are part of who she is, like her accent or lying about her last name. Then Emily floats into her life and for a little bit things were looking up. However you could tell that Anya was uncomfortable with her newfound companion. But hey, who wouldn’t use a ghost to pass a pop quiz? I really liked how Anya owned up to her responsibility. She couldn’t blame anyone else for what Emily turned into. I have to admit I was a little scared for her and her family when she and Emily started fighting.


I think the story showed positive growth for Anya. She learned to stand up for herself more. And sometimes what you want isn’t going to be good for you. I think mostly you should be proud of who you are and don’t put so much stock in other people’s opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment